Sunday 13 January 2013

Festival honours Vietnamese calligraphy in Vung Tau

More than 100 Vietnamese calligraphers met in the southern city of Vung Tau Province to share their experience and skill in the art.

 

Festival starts by honouring traditional Vietnamese calligraphers

The festival, the second of its kind in Vietnam, was opened on January 12 as part of the Vung Tau tourism fair. It drew the participation of talented calligraphers from 12 clubs across the country.

Duong Minh Hoang, a young calligrapher, who is well-known for the longest piece of calligraphy, Hịch tướng sĩ or Proclamation to Soldiers, said, “I always ponder over ways to enhance my skills and improve my knowledge about calligraphy in order to form my own style. I hope that the public will appreciate seeing a product by a calligrapher as young as me, and see the importance of young people being involved in the country's culture in order to preserve it."

My Hanh, 65, from Gia Ngo Calligraphy Club in HCM City, was also honoured to present her work to visitors.

“I started to study calligraphy a decade ago. My love for such a career was nurtured when I attended calligraphy exhibitions. Then I decided to take classes. After a year of studying, I sold my first three works. It takes a lot of patience to pursue this art,” Hanh said.

Le Vu, 64, who is renowned for his works depicting the world’s famous people, said, “I incorporate letters from the names of famous people to form my hangings poster. Sometimes it can take me a week to complete one."

Le Vu has just completed his 200th calligraphy on famous people.

Photos taken from the festival:

Du khách trầm trồ trước “Bức thư pháp viết bài Hịch tướng sĩ dài nhất” (dài gần 40m, rộng gần 1,5m)
Visitors impressed by the long, "Proclamation to Soldiers", nearly 40 metres long and 1.5 metres wide
 

Dương Minh Hoàng - ông đồ trẻ mới 28 tuổi

Duong Minh Hoang, a 28-year-old calligrapher

“Bà đồ” Mỹ Hạnh là nữ thư pháp gia cao tuổi nhất cuộc hội ngộ
My Hanh, oldest female calligrapher at the festival
“Bà đồ” Mỹ Hạnh là nữ thư pháp gia cao tuổi nhất cuộc hội ngộ
Le Vu famous for 200 calligraphies on famous people
 
“Bà đồ” Mỹ Hạnh là nữ thư pháp gia cao tuổi nhất cuộc hội ngộ
 
“Bà đồ” Mỹ Hạnh là nữ thư pháp gia cao tuổi nhất cuộc hội ngộ
Calligrapher Cong Minh with a work called “Tam” or “Heart”
 
“Bà đồ” Mỹ Hạnh là nữ thư pháp gia cao tuổi nhất cuộc hội ngộ
 
“Bà đồ” Mỹ Hạnh là nữ thư pháp gia cao tuổi nhất cuộc hội ngộ
Thich Nhuan Phap, a young monk calligrapher
 
Các ông đồ cho chữ trên nón lá tặng du khách.
Giving calligraphy lessons on visitors’ palm-leaf conical hats

No comments:

Post a Comment